Tourism  

           The relief of the commune, the special landscape, the local traditions, the natural monuments, and not only, are all elements recommending the investments in the development of tourism and agritourism. Among the local attractions must be mentioned the natural reserve Lunca Pogănişului (the Floodplain of the Pogăniş River), the local celebrations (such as “Zilele Tormăcene” – the Days of the Tormac commune), the Tormac Lake, the traditions and customs well preserved and valorified by the local people and, not in the last place, the cuisine specific to this region (its representative dish being bogracs – paprikash).
Tourist objectives:
    Tormac Reformed Church
    The first inhabitants who settled in Tormac were Germans (Swabians), who arrived here in 1786. In 1794, the first Hungarians arrived (150 Reformed families). At the same time as the founding of the village, a small church, with a thatched roof, like most of the colonists’ houses, whose priest was called Boros Istvan, was also built.
    The construction of the first actual church was started on 12 July 1858. This was all the more necessary since, in 1847, the parish house, together with the little church, had been consumed by a fire. The building of the church took place when Gönczy Zolnay Daniel was the priest of Tormac, taking three years to be completed. The church was built in a simple style, its spire being covered in zinc coated sheet. The length of the building was of 40 metres, its width was of 14 metres, and the walls were 14 metres high. In the construction of the church also took part the Hungarian Kingdom, donating 10,500 forints in the beginning and later another 3,000, together with the population, who managed to raise the amount of 16,000 forints. The chief builder was Forgach Jakab.
    As great as the joy of the people in Tormac was when they saw the construction finished, just as great was their sadness when, three years later, the walls of the church began to crack. The cracks were so deep that the administration of the church had no other choice left than to demolish the whole construction. But the people of Tormac could not accept the idea of not having a church in their village, so they started the building of a new one. The priest began obtaining the necessary authorizations.
    In 1878, the priest Gönczy Zolnay Daniel retired, being replaced by a new priest, named Zöld Mihaly. This one, as well, tried to do all he could in order to build a new church. All these efforts were not in vain, since on 28 June 1887 was started the building of a church inaugurated on 17 June 1888, where the believers can still pray nowadays.
    In the spire of the church there are three bells of different sizes. The biggest of them weighs 342.5 kg, the weight of the middle one is of 201.5 kg, and the smallest has a weight of 99.5 kg. All the bells have been donated by the local people.
    The number of Reformed inhabitants in Tormac is of 2,090.
BRIEF PRESENTATION
Materials used: - 400,426 bricks
- 359 cubic metres of natural stones
- 603 cubic metres of sand
Costs: The total expenses, including the workforce, have been estimated to about 15,944 forints.
Dimensions: 34 m in length, 14 m in width, 34 m in height
Duration of the construction works: 28 June 1887-17 June 1888
    Şipet Orthodox Church
    The oldest church in the locality was situated in “Satul Bătrân” (“The Old Village”), its founder being Ilie Cionvică, member of one among the oldest families in the village, who had originally come from Băbeni, Vâlcea county. Nowadays there are no more traces of this church.
    On the place of the present-day church there have been two previous ones. The first church, built before 1800, was demolished in 1880. An inventory made in 1805 still survives, containing data on the construction, the book fund of the church, the church domain and the names of its founders and builders. Thus, we find out that this was a church made of brick, whitewashed inside and out and covered in fir tree shingles. Its spire was still in place until 1890, being the favourite playground of the village children of that time.
    The second church was built in 1891, in the Banat style, and it lasted until 1930, when it had to be demolished because of the cracks that had appeared in its walls. This church was very tall, with walls made of brick, it was covered in tin sheets and its azure dome was decorated with metal stars. The materials left after its demolition were used for the building of the present-day church. This was built in 1935, being consecrated in 1936, and it is dedicated to All Saints.
    In the making of its foundation have been discovered the remains of a tomb dating back to the Middle Ages, which suggests that the area could have been the necropolis of a settlement of that era. Behind the church there is the family crypt of the baron Petru Duca, who had been rewarded with the Şipet and Cadăr domains for his feats of arms during the anti-Napoleonic wars. Unfortunately, its exact place is no longer exactly known, since nowadays the crypt is covered with soil. The church is built in the Byzantine style, being one of the most beautiful in Banat, and it is considered by the local people as the second one in the Timiş county, after the Metropolitan Cathedral in Timişoara.
    
    BRIEF PRESENTATION
    Duration of the construction works: 25 August 1935-November 1936
    Painting: 1943-1947
    Consecration: 24 August 1947
    Lunca Pogănişului (The Floodplain of the Pogăniş River) – A Natural Reserve
    The Tormac commune is located in the southeastern part of the Timiş county, in the eponymous plain, having under its administration the localities Cadăr, Şipet and the administrative centre – Tormac. The Pogăniş River, popularly called “Pogonici”, has its sources in the northern part of the Semenic Mountains, having a length of 97 km and a basin area of 667 square kilometres. The river mouth lies on the territory of the Sacoşul Turcesc commune, in the Timiş county, at the northwestern end of the Uliuc village.
    Very few people have heard of the Lunca Pogănişului natural reserve, a potential recreational area, little known and visited, having no access way or arrangements, where in the spring blooms a rare beauty: the fritillary or checkered daffodil (Fritillaria meleagris), a plant species protected by law in all the European countries, facing extinction. Also called, in an affectionate manner, “Chess Flower”, “Guinea-hen Flower” or “Frog-cup”, this lovely flower has been recognized by the Romanian law as a nature monument, therefore several protected areas having been created. A Mediterranean plant, the fritillary belongs to the Liliaceae family and it has been included on the list of species protected by the Berne Convention. Besides Lunca Pogănişului, in Romania, the fritillary can also be found at Cheile Turzii, Tuşnad, on the bank of the Olt River, at Hărman, in the Domogled-Valea Cernei natural reserve.
    The protected area, covering a surface of 75.5 ha, is one among the few places in Romania where this plant can be found, growing along the Pogăniş River. In Lunca Pogănişului, the fritillary grows on large areas, preferring the habitats in the wild. Thus, it blooms in the forests at Berini, Blajova, Cadăr, Niţchidorf, around the Buziaş, Otveşti, Chevereş localities, these being rarely met oak forests (Querqus robur), where the ash (Fraxinus excelsior) and the field maple (Acer campestre) are the main species of trees, mixed with hornbeam (Carpinus betulus), elm (Ulmus foliacea), European wild pear (Pirus piraster), cherry (Cerasus avium), and European crab apple (Malus silvestris). The main shrubs that can be found are the Tatar maple (Acer tataricum), the hawthorn (Crategus monogyna), the common dogwood (Cornus sanguinea), the wild privet (Ligustrum vulgare), and the blackthorn (Prunus spinosa).
    The distance from Timişoara, on an asphalt road crossing Moşniţa Nouă-Sacoşu Turcesc and reaching Berini, is of 27 km. The zone, having a surface of about 800 ha, can be used for exceptional recreational arrangements. The vast surface of the reserve, the possibility of creating ponds, using the groundwater, the mosaic-like landscape, with wooded parts, are as many arguments supporting the previous statements. The area awaits people of initiative and investors, its potential load capacity being estimated to be of about 1,000-2,000 visitors.
    The Tormac Lake
    In the area of the commune can be created a recreational zone, which would be facilitated by the existence of a natural lake covering over 30 hectares. This could include angling, sports, and treatment centres, tourist pensions, camps, etc.
    Local Events
    Zilele Tormacului (The Days of the Tormac Commune)
    In the year 2000, the non-governmental organization Riveto Association, from the Tormac locality, organized the first edition of this manifestation. The purpose of the event was that of offering visitors a program consisting of various cultural and sports activities, as well as a good opportunity of getting back in touch for those having left Tormac.
    The activities are extremely varied, including cooking contests – „Bográcsfőző verseny” (paprikash), sports contests (soccer, ping pong), ATV contests, entertaining contests. Traditionally, the evening programme begins with the riders’ parade, as well as with that of the Tormac volunteer firefighters, of the folk ensembles of the locality – Csűrdöngölő, Szederinda – and of the athletes.
    Starting with 2004, the organization of this activity was taken over by the Tormac Local Council, the non-governmental organizations of the commune, the Riveto Association, the Pro-Tormac Foundation, the Pro-Community Association, the Volunteer Firefighters, as well as the Tormac Reformed Church, being its co-organizers. Its area of activity has been extended, on this occasion its name being completed to that of „Zilele Tormăcene – Întâlnirea localităților înfrățite” (The Days of the Tormac Commune – Meeting of the Twinned Localities). To this celebration of the Tormac locality are also invited delegations from the twinned localities: Cahuzac-sur-Vere (France), Röszke (Hungary). The first evening ends with an open-air ball in the square at the centre of the commune. The marathon of activities also includes the festive mass held at the Tormac Reformed Church.
    Every year, the organizers try their best to offer diversified programmes for those who wish to take part in our celebration.